Thursday, February 27, 2014

Gamer RAGER Mom

     It's another day and another time to empty the cranial cavity.  So glad I have an outlet for all of these thoughts, ideas and random bits of blarney.
    Hello.  My name is Regina, and I am a gamer... HI REGINA!  I have 3 kids I game with, and also without.  I blame them for this......I am a victim, a victim I tell you!  No, just kidding. (maybe)  I have always liked video games.  I was not very good at most of them, but loved them anyway.  I grew up in the era of gaming.  Pong, to Pac Man, to Mario and more.  I love most types of games, but my favorite are RPG or Role Playing Games.
     I like to play them online with live people.  Most of the time I don't tell anyone I am old enough to be their mom, since it freaks them out.  I play with my kids a lot and by myself late at night.  Either way, I come across a heck of a lot of gamer rage.  For those not familiar with this... here is a little peek...
     A girl gamer has problems.  She gets trolled.  For those not familiar with this term it means they will hit on you in juvenile disgusting ways, or make fun of you by saying girls cannot game.  You learn quickly to mute a troll or it is guaranteed to cause you to rage.  I can't tell you how many times I have seen this phrase written to me, my daughter or another fellow female gamer, "Woman!  Git back in that kitchen and make me a sammich" 
             When you find a fellow female gamer, you friend them! (nice alliteration there, Gina :-P)  
     I try to look for people who are a bit more mature and then tell them not only am I a female, but a mom.  An older mom. GASP... (you can actually hear this in your head when you tell them.)  There is always a big pause.  Then you usually get one of two reactions.  "COOL!  Wish my mom would play with me!" (which makes you feel good about yourself for playing with your own kids)  And then there is this reaction, "Whoa! REALLY ?  A girl plays this and she's a mom! Like an OLDER mom!"
     As a gaming mom I had to learn a whole new vocabulary!  Words like noob, pug, rager, QQ, QQ'er, troll and other magical words!  Never say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, cause this bitch learned a whole new language!
     Have I ever raged during a game?  Ummmm weeeeeeell, maybe.....okay yes, yes I rage.  You can get so caught up in fighting with your team, that when someone does a completely noob thing it makes you mad! They might cost you the game! (noob is a new person to the game or gaming)  So yes, I have hollered, cussed, tossed my mouse in frustration and raged.  This is one of the reasons I do not get on Skype when I play. (must maintain that motherly ladylike decorum you know)
(noobs always focus the tank in a team fight...sigh)

     My husband knows when I am playing because apparently I do something odd with my feet while fighting.  He will then say, "It's okay baby, calm down...you won't stay dead forever.  Your little person will come back, just watch... see?  There you are!"  The screen darkens when you are "dead", and he will also pass by and say, "watching another black and white movie I see". (grrrrrrrr) lol
     If you would like to game with your kids, I wholeheartedly suggest it!  I have done the 4-H and cheerleading, band, choir, brownies, parades, floats etc.  This is completely different and is still a great way to spend time with your kids, see what kind of modern electronics appeal to them, and keep an eye on what they are doing and whom they are doing it with! It keeps you current.
     I don't say that raging is right, nor does it accomplish anything. (other than to possibly damage your mouse or keyboard with the banging)   I try to teach my kids to stay calm, to be kind to the noobs, and to think before they commit to an action in game that can affect their team or the outcome.  I use gaming as a teaching method for dealing with people of all walks of life and all ages. I try to teach good sportsmanship, tolerance, spelling and grammar skills as well. (they just have no clue I am doing it)
     When I win, I win with grace and dignity...no really.... I do...(roflmao)
       Hope this made you laugh, and if you want to game with me... give me a shout!  Have a great day!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment