Monday, February 24, 2014

Haircuts from Hades

So today starts the first post in my world of blogs.  Sometimes I just get so full up of things to say I feel the need to write them down.  I am bursting with topics I feel so passionate about and this will be my way of telling the world....so... hang on world... here goes.

     We all have hair, and all need to get them trimmed, cut, dyed, permed, curled or straightened.  Whatever it is that you wish to do to your hair is totally up to you.  Or is it...dun..dun..duuuuunnn...

     Today my son went to get his hair cut.  He is 17.  He'd been letting it grow out pretty long in order to get a specific style cut in.  He is in a musical at school and needs to look "surfer-ish".  The dress rehearsal is tonight so they are awaiting his perfect cut for the musical.  
     I send him to the stylist to get a haircut like Peeta, from Hunger Games.  I send a phone with pictures of several looks for the same haircut, so there could be no mistake.  I send my 24 year old daughter to supervise. We choose the most experienced looking stylist!  I feel I've got this thing in hand.  Nothing can go wrong. 
      The picture is shown.  The stylist says, "sure I can do that easily".  When asked if she wants the phone left with the picture on it (to refer to of course), she declines saying, "No... I've got it!"
     You can guess what happened the second she was left unattended.  She got out her trusty dusty clippers and ZIIIIP  straight up the back of my son's head. My daughter glances up to see the clippers in action.  It looks like a scene straight from Edward Scissorhands with hair flying everywhere!  The only thing lacking is the great Vincent Price to complete the scenario.

     My daughter is texting me frantically while racing back to the stylist's chair.  Too late.  When the dust clears and the last hair settles, my son looks nothing like Peeta, not even like a surfer dude, not even like a clean cut boy next door with layered locks.  It has been buzzed.  The back of his head looked like he was going into the Army.
     Why is it that everyone wants to make my beautiful son look like a Hitler Youth?  I feel like he should step out and thrust his arm up shouting, "Sieg Heil!"  With his blonde hair and blue eyes, and now his buzzed head, he definitely could get a role in a production of Hitler's Youth: The Real Story.
                                               (Note the lack of hair on the back and sides.)
     Needless to say my tirade over the phone to the manager resulted in a soft and lackadaisical, "oh, sorry."  Then it was followed by, "well... we can't glue the hair back on...".  REALLY?  I wanted to know WHY that stylist performed a hack job that rivaled the woodcarvers at the county fair, and my son looking like a bald eagle.  She was told how important this cut was, and given everything she needed to cut that  feathered and layered look, which could quickly be styled into a G.Q. look.  There was not a single buzzed tress in that picture.
     I asked my son why he didn't say anything.  He replied, "well, once she buzzed that first stripe, what could I say?!"
     I don't know what it is around here, that when a teenage male walks in and asks for a cut, he gets a buzz.  He doesn't chew t'baccy and sport bib overalls.  He isn't named Bubba and has all of his teeth.  He isn't Eminem and walking in with tats, bling, and a hitch in his stride.  He supports cancer survivors by wearing pink and running marathons in a tutu, not by shaving his head.  What makes a stylist decide to do whatever haircut she wants, regardless of what the client asks for?  
     This is not an isolated incident.  This is the 4th time this has happened!  It didn't matter if I was standing there or sitting in the waiting area.  It didn't matter if I took him, my husband, or my daughter.  Different stylists each time and the same result.
     My husband goes to the same salon, and has never been given a buzz.  I tell them what haircut I want, and it is done.  My son sits in the chair and the clippers come out the second I turn my back.  Normally I bitch and move on.  This haircut was important and if she couldn't do the haircut she should have said so, and then given him to someone who could, rather than do the easiest thing to make money!  
    Apparently out here in the country, surfer dude = buzzed Nazi youth or Bubba Buzz!

  






This is the picture we showed her.  It is Peeta, from Hunger Games.  Note the hair that is all over his head!

     

(Per your requests...)  This is my son BEFORE the haircut.  Note the long shaggy hair that he has been growing in order to get it all grown out for "surfer dude".  This was about 2 months ago, so it was even longer.  It's tucked into his shirt at the back and hung down to the bottom of his eyes.
      

The front is a little short to pull off the surfer wet look pictured above.  It's the back and sides that were buzzed so short you cannot even comb or brush them.  Here is a pic of the back.


She stopped buzzing when it got to the top, as my daughter stopped her, or the top would have been buzzed too.  He has VERY thick hair and it may look like there is a lot, but trust me.. it is all so short I moved my hand through it and it didn't move!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I didn't pay a dime! They said they wouldn't charge me, and I told them that wasn't the point. If their staff cannot perform the service then they shouldn't be offering that service! They could say BUZZ CUT SPECIAL...$5.00!

      Delete
    2. Why was she buzzing at all? A haircut like Peeta's would best be done with scissors. Need a new stylist :p

      Delete
    3. Exactly my point to the manager! That haircut did not require anything but scissors to layer his hair!

      Delete
  2. I had the same thing happen with Derek. He was growing his out and it got to the point it needed trimmed. It took ALOT of convincing to get him in the chair. I told the stylist we just want a trim as little as possible. When she was done he looked like the kid off of the movie Santa Claus. He started crying he blamed me for it all because I made him go! I was not a happy Mom walking out of that place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last 2 or 3 times we took Adric, I don't know what they were thinking. We even took a barber shop, and ended up with his bangs cut straight across, like SPOCK. I went in and told the stylist at the next salon, we didn't want his bangs straight across, more like light layers, BAM Spock cut # 2. I have pictures now, but I am not sure that will work either. UGH, I guess he will just grow out his hair until HE can't stand it anymore :)

    ReplyDelete